Owning a local business these days is a lot different than it was a mere ten years ago. Back then, as long as you had a good ad in the local phone book, ran a few ads in the community newspaper, and sent out mailings to attract new business with coupons you were golden. It’s been that way for decades, but then the internet came along and changed everything. And those local business owners who haven’t kept up with the times are feeling the pain when it comes to sales.
In fact, the number of local store closings this year alone is more than they were in the Great Recession. And analysts aren’t optimistic about the future of local businesses because online retailers like Amazon continue to expand, leaving local business owners in the dark.
But there is a group of local business owners who have changed with the times and their stores are thriving. Let’s talk about what they’ve done to gain that momentum and keep the customers coming to their shops.
Successful Local Shops Can Be Seen Online
When is the last time you heard of someone opening the phone book to find US local businesses? Or how long has it been since you’ve received a little blue envelope full of coupons to the local shops and restaurants in your area? These advertising methods of yesterday are all but nonexistent and have been replaced with online advertising. But that can be a problem for local businesses that have no online presence.
You see, when today’s consumers want to find US local restaurants or shops, they look online for the information, and if your shop can’t be found there, you’ll miss out on all that business. Until recently, people used the major search engines to find US local businesses, but it quickly became too much of a hassle to sift through all the irrelevant results like articles and websites of national chains or online stores. And that’s why local business directories were invented.
Local business directories act just like the large search engines except they only give consumers the exact results they’re looking for. For example, if someone were looking for a computer shop in San Francisco, California on a major search engine, they would see all kinds of articles about computers and the link to big box stores or online computer shops, but it would be difficult for them to find US local computer shops. On the other hand, if they were to conduct the same search on a local business directory, they would only see computer shops located in the San Francisco area in the results.
Do you see why consumers are using local business directories more and more?
Can Your Business be Found on a Local Business Directory?
And here is where the rubber meets the road. Since consumers across the nation are turning to local business directories to find US local businesses, it’s imperative that your business be found there. If it’s not, those potential customers will find your competitors and buy from them instead. Luckily, it’s easy to claim our local business listing—just log onto FindUsLocal.com, search for your business, and then claim the listing. But there are some tricks you should know before doing so to ensure that your local listing stands out and gets the attention of the people who are looking for a local business just like yours. Here are the best ways to ensure that happens.
Don’t Just Choose Any Local Business Directory
Not all local business directories are the same, and in you should take the time to find the one that will give you the best results. After all, if you’re going to take the time to create your local business listing, doesn’t it make sense to put it on a local directory that has enough traffic? FindUsLocal.com is one of the best directories out there, and here are a few reasons why.
- It’s Convenient. Some local business directories make it difficult for consumers to find US local businesses because they have to jump through so many hoops to see the results. But FindUsLocal.com uses cutting edge technology to automatically match the results visitors see with their location. In other words, when they log onto the local business directory, they will see a customized home page that is built around their immediate location. And when they search, they will only see the local results from that area.
- Local News. Local news can be hard to come by these days because so much attention is focused on national and global news, but local business directories like FindUsLocal.com make it easy. On visitor’s home page, they will see all the local news from their area in a running steam.
- Local Events. Instead of having to call the local civic centers, auditoriums and sports stadiums, visitors can simply browse through all of the upcoming local events on the FindUsLocal home page. It showcases all of the upcoming concerts, plays and sporting events, and just to make things easier for visitors, it also includes links so they can purchase tickets to the events easier.
- Online Reviews. Most experts agree that local businesses can’t thrive unless they have some good online reviews from the locals in their city or town. But that can be a problem for many local shops because they don’t have an online place for customers to leave those reviews. But when you claim your local business listing on FindUsLocal.com, you’ll have one. There, customers can leave reviews for your business so that others from your community can read them before making a purchasing decision.
- A Daily Dose of Inspiration or Humor. As an added benefit, FindUsLocal.com offers an inspirational quote and a humorous feature called the Name of the Day for people who like to have a little something extra to start off their day. These features will make them think, laugh, or just tuck away a little piece of knowledge to use another day.
- Interaction. Finally, today’s consumers demand interaction from the local businesses they buy from, but that can be a challenge for local shop owners who don’t have thriving social media accounts. But FindUsLocal.com offers a way around that in its comments section. It allows both business owners and consumers to leave comments and that can easily turn into a two-way conversation about your business. For example, you can use the feature to announce a sale or a new products and consumers can ask questions about or tell others about the great deal they got. Keep in that FindUsLocal is the only local business directory to offer this amazing feature.
Pay Attention to the Details
Now that you know why FindUsLocal.com is the best local business directory for you, let’s talk about how to create your local listing. It’s important that you enter your NAP+W’s the same on every local directory that you list on because if you don’t, it could hurt you in the search engine results.
NAP+W’s stand for name, address, phone number, and website address, and while this may sound simple, there are some things you need to know.
For example, if the name of your store is Cups, Inc., you must decide whether or not to include the “Ink” in your business name, and then do it the same way on every local business directory you list on. The same is true for your business address. If it ends in Street, Drive, Parkway or any other clarifying word, you’ll need to determine whether or not to include it in the local business listings.
Have You Created Your Local Business Listing Yet?
If you haven’t already created your listing on a quality local business directory like FindUsLocal.com, what are you waiting for? There are thousands of local consumers looking for businesses like yours every day, and until they can find you online, you’re missing out on all of that business!