Local marketing and advertising is one of the most important things small, local business owners can do. In fact, if you neglect this all important task, chances are your small business won’t be around in the years to come.
But there’s a major problem: many local shop owners still believe that they can use the same old local marketing techniques that have worked for them in years past. The problem is, today’s consumers don’t rely on those methods to find US local businesses anymore. Instead, they look to the internet.
Here’s a brief sample of the old school local marketing techniques that don’t work anymore:
- Yellow Pages ads. Not that long ago, a local business didn’t have a chance of success unless they took out an ad in the local Yellow Pages. But these day, shoppers almost never turn to the Yellow Pages to find local business. Don’t spend your advertising dollars on these relics.
- Newspaper ads. Remember when clipping coupons from the community newspaper was the best way to find local deals and sales? If you’re still relying on running ads in local newspapers, your new customer base probably isn’t what you want it to be. That’s because today’s consumers look online for both their local news and for all those local coupons and sales.
- Mail outs. In the past, some local business owners used mass mail outs to get the attention of local buyers, and these worked well for a few years. The concept was simple: local businesses would band together and send out an envelope loaded with coupons. Homeowners would go through the coupons, select the ones they wanted to use, and then visit those local stores. Unfortunately, this local marketing method doesn’t offer good results any more.
The New Local Marketing
Smart small business owners have figured out those methods no longer work to bring in new business and have moved on to use the local marketing methods that do. But before we talk about the best local marketing technique, let’s talk about why the old school methods no longer work.
- Consumers are rushed for time. Think about your own life—when is the last time you have an extra 15 minutes to go through an envelope stuffed with coupons or to track down the bulky Yellow Pages and then thumb through it to find local businesses? It’s been awhile, huh? Guess what? Other people are just as busy and that’s one reason why they don’t find local businesses using these outdated marketing methods anymore.
- Shoppers look on the internet to find local businesses. These days, almost everyone carries a smartphone, tablet, or uses a laptop computer, and according to the latest studies, 97 percent of them look online to find US local businesses. If you’re business can’t be found there, you’re missing out on a whole lot of new business.
- People like to find all the information in one convenient place. It’s no longer necessary to find a business phone number in one place, their store hours in another, and driving directions in yet another. With inventions like free small business directories, it’s now possible for shoppers to find all the information they need with the click of a mouse.
How to Take Advantage of the New Local Marketing
If you’re still relying on old school local marketing techniques, today is the day you can do something about it. By simply creating a free local listing on a quality small business directory like FindUsLocal.com, you’ll talk the most important step.
These online small business directories are where 1 out of every 2 people look when trying to find US local businesses. And studies show that when shoppers find the local shops and restaurants this way, the majority of them end up visiting the establishment.
To create your free small business listing, just head on over to FindUsLocal and claim your business. Then fill in all the details about your shop. Remember, customers want to find all the information about your store in one place, so be sure to fill in as many details about it as you can.
Keep in mind that in order to make the most of your small business directory listings, you’ll need to enter the exact same information when it comes to your business name, address, phone number, and website address. In other words, don’t enter our business address as 123 Main Street on some local listings and Main St. on others. If you do, all the local business listings you create won’t be recognized by the search engine spiders as belonging to your local business, and that means a lot of time and effort would be wasted.
Free small business directory listings should be an integral part of your local marketing efforts. Remember, yesterday’s tactics no longer work and if you want to attract the most new customers, you’ll have to ensure that they can find you when they try to find US local businesses just like yours. And according to all the latest research, they’re looking online, specifically in local business directories.