Do you run a local business? If so, you may have realized that things aren’t like they used to be when it comes to marketing. In fact, unless you know about local business directories, you may be missing out on the most important local marketing tool you have.
Are you ready to learn how to boost your sales by creating a free local business listing? Let’s get started.
First, What Are Local Business Directories?
Maybe you’ve heard the term, local business directory, but don’t know what it is. The best way to think about these useful tools is to compare them with the Yellow Pages of the last decade. When someone wanted to find local businesses in the past, they pulled out the Yellow Pages. Then, they thumbed through the pages until they found the local business they wanted.
But these days, people don’t have the time (or patience!) to use the Yellow Pages. They live their lives online for the most part, and that means they need an online solution when they want to find local businesses.
And that’s where local business directories come in.
Consumer Behavior with Local Business Directories
Local business directories are online Yellow Pages. Consumers use them when they want to find local businesses in a fast and easy way. Here’s how most people use local business directories:
- They go to a credible local business directory like com and log on.
- They will instantly be presented with a homepage that shows them the news, weather, and events in their area. FindUsLocal.com does with the use of GEO location technology software, and this makes each visitor’s experience unique and personal.
- Next, they use the directory’s search bar and input the type of business they’re looking for. For example, if they want to find a jewelry repair shop, they would type “jewelry repair” into the search engine bar on the site.
- Now, the visitor will be presented with a list of all the jewelry repair shops in their city or town.
- The visitor will then check out the ratings of each business on the list. For example, some local shops may have plenty of five-star ratings, while others may have less. Most consumers like to visit local shops and restaurants that have plenty of great reviews.
- Next, the visitor will look for the information they need from the business. They may seek the business’ address, phone number, business hours, or even menu items or brands that the shop carries.
- Finally, the consumer will select the local business they want and go there to shop or eat!
Why Should You Set Up a Free Local Business Listing
If you don’t already have a listing on a local business directory, you’re probably missing out on new customers. After all, if most shoppers follow the steps we outlined above but can’t find your listing, they will likely go to your competitor instead.
And that’s not how to survive and thrive in this digital economy.
My guess is that you’re convinced that you need to set up a free local business listing on a credible local business directory like FindUsLocal.com. Here’s how to do it.
- Go to FindUsLocal.com and use the site’s search bar to find your business. Once you find it, look over the details and make notes about what information is correct and what’s wrong.
- Pay special attention to your business name, business address, business phone number, and your business website.
- Now, claim the listing as the business owner. This will allow you to make changes to the information that is currently displayed.
- Now it’s time to carefully fill in all the details you want shoppers to know about your business. Make sure your business name, address, phone number, and website URL are correct.
- Your free local business listing is now set up. Your next step is to make note of the URL and save it for the next part of the process.
What’s the Next Step?
Now that you have a local business listing on a credible local business directory, it’s time to ensure that all of your other local citations match it. Local citations are mentions of your business that appear online. The search engines use these citations to determine how high up in the search engine rankings your business sits.
But to take full advantage of local citations, such as local business listings, they all have to be exactly the same. If they’re not, the search engine spiders won’t recognize them as being from the same business. And in that case, it will negatively affect your search engine ranking.
Here’s how to ensure that all of your local citations are the same:
- Check your business name on all of your local citations and ensure that it’s exactly the same. For example, if your business name is April’s Donuts on one local business directory and Aprils Donuts on another, it doesn’t match. The business name should be written exactly the same on every listing.
- Your business address is the next thing you need to check on all your listings. This can be tricky because there are so many parts to it, but the address must be the same on every listing. For example, if your address is 123 Main Parkway on one listing and 123 Main Prkwy on another, the search engine spiders won’t recognize them as belonging to the same business. In this instance, you will have to choose between Parkway and Prkwy.
- Your business number is another area that can mess up your search engine rankings. Some people decide to list their phone number with the area code first, but others believe that since it’s a local business, they can do without the area code. But to get the best search engine rankings, you will need to choose and list your phone number the same on all your local business listings.
- Finally, your website URL is another area that can mess you up. That’s because some people list their URL starting with the http:/, while others use their simplified website name. But if you want the best search engine rankings, you will have to choose one way to list your website, and then use that exact URL for every free local business listing that you create.
How to Get the Word Out About Your Free Local Business Listing
You’ve created your local business listing on a credible local business directory like FindUsLocal.com. What’s next? It’ time to let the world know about it.
You see, in order for people to consider your local business listing credible, you have to have some great online reviews. And the way you get those reviews is to ask your current customers to leave them for you.
Don’t be overwhelmed by this. Studies show that people are more than willing to leave online reviews for local businesses if they are asked. That’s why you see so many businesses asking customers for reviews as they check out. Some even print the request on their receipts and offer shoppers a chance to win a prize if they leave a review.
Set up a system in your store where every shopper is asked to leave an online review for your business. You can post a sign that gives them the FindUsLocal.com URL, print flyers to hand out to shoppers as they leave your store, or even print the request on customer receipts.
Once customers begin leaving online reviews, others will see them and because your store will have the social proof it needs, you will soon begin experiencing new shoppers walking in your doors.
And what local business owner doesn’t love that?
Local Business Directories: Is It Time to Set Up Yours?
As you can see, creating a free local business listing is one of the best things you can do if you’re a local business owner. These listings are the way today’s consumers find local businesses. And if you want to increase business, you have to be found. Why not ensure that you can be found where today’s shoppers are looking?
Why not take a few minutes now and set up your free local business listing? All you have to gain is new customers!
Do you already have a local business listing on a credible local business directory like FindUsLocal.com? If so we would love to hear how it’s helped your business grow. Please leave us a comment below!