New customers are the lifeblood of any local shop, restaurant, or service business, but did you know that many of today’s local business owners are still relying on old-school methods to find new customers? That’s a recipe for disaster because today’s shoppers don’t use old-fashioned methods of finding US local businesses. For example, here is how the local business owner of a decade ago found new customers:
- They ran an ad in the Yellow Pages. These old books were the method of advertising for local shops, restaurants, and service businesses.
- They used coupon mail outs. In the past, little blue envelopes were sent to homeowners that contained coupons for all the local businesses in their area.
- They ran ads in the local newspaper. Whether they wanted to announce a sale, let people know they were hiring, or run a coupon, the local newspaper was the place to do it.
But today’s shoppers don’t look to these places anymore—they look to local business directories.
Why Shoppers Look for Shops and Restaurants on Local Business Directories
Who wants to store or lug around a hefty Yellow Pages book? And when you’re on the go, do you really want to stop in a convenience store and buy a local newspaper so you can find local businesses? If you’re like most of today’s shoppers, the answer is a definite no.
Instead, they want to use the devices they have handy—their smartphones, tablets, and laptop computers. And these devices take them to one place when finding local businesses—the internet.
But finding local businesses on the large search engines can be challenging because you’ll have to wade through all of the articles about the topic and the online stores that appear in the search results. But local business directories only display the local businesses they want in the results. They are the perfect place for finding US local businesses on the go.
How do I Get My Business on a Local Business Directory?
These days, if your business isn’t listed on a local business directory, you’re probably missing out on a lot of new business. Now that you understand how today’s consumers shop, doesn’t it make sense to create your own free local business listing as soon as possible?
To do so, just follow these simple steps:
- Go to com and look for your business using the custom search bar on the top of the home page.
- When your business shows up in the search results, click on it and then claim it as the business owner.
- Fill in as many details as you can. Don’t forget to include everything shoppers are looking for such as your phone number, the types of payment you accept, directions to your store, and menu items if you run a restaurant.
Local business directories are the best method of local marketing there is. If you haven’t started taking advantage of this free local marketing methods, why not take a few minutes and do it right now?